Tuesday, September 05, 2006

George

I get the feeeling that I will be talking about George a whole bunch this year. George is a forth grader--for the second time. He came to our school from New Orleans last year near the end of the school year. I think his family is still mostly in Louisianna because he goes back almost every weekend. I would describe George as a combination of Woody Woodpecker and Bugs Bunny combined. He loves to talk and loves to act silly. He gets in trouble occasionally, but in a Woody and Bugs kind of way--nothing too serious.

Every morning he walks next to me on the track and we talk about life and what's happening and stuff. The other day a couple of boys walked by us and they were wearing their cub scout uniforms. (I must mention that these particular boys were pretty small because it is relevent to the story). I said to them, "Y'all look nice in your uniforms." George asked them, "What grade y'alls in?" One of them answered that they were in forth grade. George said, "WHAT?! FORTH GRADE!? Man, y'alls some sma--" George stopped what he was saying and looked at me with wide eyes like he was in trouble.

After the two boys had got a little ways ahead of me I complimented George, "That was nice, George. You were about to tell those boys how small they were, but you caught yourself, didn't you?" "How'd you know?" he asked. I told him, "Because I was thinking the same thing." I am proud of you for catching yourself. Now, would you have caught yourself if I wasn't standing beside you?" George thought about it. "No", he finally said. At least he is honest. I told him, "Hey, you gotta start catching yourself even when I'm not around. That will keep you outta trouble."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What tracks were yall walking or following that your talking about? Were yall on a camping trip with the cub scouts tracking some wolverines or something?

Mr.Bowers said...

some parents drop their kids off at our school as early as 6:45 when class doesn't start until 8:10. Babysitting ain't cheap, ya know. Instead of keeping them caged up in the cafeteria, we offer them the chance to walk the track. This gives them a chance to talk and walk after they have eaten their free breakfast! If they would like they may stay in the cafeteria and have a study hall.

Mr.Bowers said...

That is, the "track". You know, an asphault track that goes around a soccer field.