Friday, October 13, 2006

Primal Scream

I haved this one class that drives me crazy! When they come to Drama class, they are fighting, tattling, hitting, screaming--you name it! I spend most of the 45 minutes that I have with them trying to solve the problems that they are having with each other and I can't even get through the lesson. The way my class goes is like this: I give them a lesson, and then we do a fun Drama activity that relates to the lesson.

Yesterday I was really getting frustrated with them so before I could start the lesson, I began working with them on treating each other with kindness, love, respect, sensitivity...everything I could think of. It wasn't working, they continued tattling, secretly kicking each other, hitting, talking to each other in rude voices, bothering each other--everything!

I kept getting madder and madder and I was working so hard on trying to control my temper. I was at a boiling point. I was trying to exibit a calm control over the class and it was not working. I told them in a calm reasonable voice, "Guys, listen, I have a fun activity planned for you. Calm down and listen to what I am teaching you and then we can have some fun learning."

One of the kids SHOUTS out, "We gonna play a game?!"

I totally lost it. I was looking for something to destroy. I ran out of the room into the parking lot (which is right outside my room) I threw my arms out to my side and yelled, "AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH" I felt like a lion roaring his displeasure to the whole jungle.

Amazing. I felt totally refreshed and calm. When I came back into the room, all of the kids were sitting still. Most of them had looks of shock on their faces. A couple of them were crying (the two kids in the class who actually behave).

I calmly began the lesson and was able to finish it in five minutes. The kids listened and responded like a perfect class.

Today one of the kids who was crying, Mariah, came up to me and said she was crying because she felt sorry for me. I told her that I was sorry I lost my temper and that I am constantly working on controling it. I also told her that I cried about what happened as well when I got home. I thanked her for behaving and told her to keep trying.

Today is a much better day--even though it's Friday the 13th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet it was a full moon. That is how you can tell when it is time to bring your "A-game" to class. That moon does something to kids. Next time when they don't respond, break out in song with a couple of other kids on a tune that they will know, like "Jingle Bells" or "The devil went down to Georgia", or something. A couple of other kids will join in, and before you know it, either they all will be singing with you or listening to you. "Take me out to the Ball park" works too. 'cause its 1....2....3 strikes your out in the old hall way.

Mr.Bowers said...

I like the song idea.

An old teacher once told me that kids are like barometers. When the weather changes--watch out!