Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The First Metaphore of the Year

It's only the second day of school and I have already busted out a new metaphore.

Tony is a new 4th grader at our school and he, "don't trust nobody," and he is "tired of my teacher always telling me about her rules". I tried to tell him why his teacher is trying to get him to "run with the herd".

Your teacher is a cowboy. She is driving her herd across the country and trying her best to protect them. What happens if one of the cows tries to run away from the herd and get off into the canyon? There could be rattlesnakes, coyotes, scorpions--who knows what else! What do the cowboys do when one of the cows runs off? They go and rope 'em and bring 'em back to the herd. That's what your teacher is trying to do, she is trying to protect you and keep you safe and teach you how to be independent. Now go and be a good cow.

Tony said, "I don't get it."

No comments: