Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Where Have I Been?

In the Philippines with my wife! We had a family wedding to attend so we saved up our money and hit the road--or the air--whatever. Anyway, I have many stories to tell, but just one today.

The town where my family lives is in Dumaguete in Negros Oriental on the Island of Negros in the Philippines. In the town is Silliman University and the it has a school for all ages--starting in elementary! (I might just have to move there to teach for a few years.) The school is the best in the country for learning English, so most of the people in the town speak it pretty well--which worked out great for me!

One day my wife, brother-in-law and I were walking past the elementary school just as it was letting out. Of course, I was pretty much the only white guy in the town so I was used to all the kids freaking out when they saw me walking around, however I was surprised when one of the little Philippino kids started talking to me. She looked to be in about 2nd grade:

LITTLE PENOY: Hello, sir, how are you?
ME: I am fine.
LITTLE PENOY: What is your name?
ME: I am Mr. Bowers, what is your name?
LITTLE PENOY: My name is Margarette, it's nice to meet you.
ME: Nice to meet you too!

So there I was, so impressed with this little kid speaking such fluent English, when my wife says to me, "You know her teacher probably tells the kids to practice their English whenever they see an American!"

Suddenly I had flashbacks of my 8th grade Spanish classes.

No comments: