Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Troy

Troy is a cool kid that moved here at the end of last year. He and his family were Katrina victims and ended up in Houston.

Troy wanted to learn to whistle really loud like me. I am a really loud whistler. I learned to whistle really loud in 5th grade, so whenever a kid asks me to teach them how to whistle, I always tell them that they will learn to whistle in 5th grade. Our school only goes up to the 4th grade so I never have to teach any of them to whistle! (Next year my school will be getting 5th grade--that'll be fun.)

Anyway, Troy was very persistent, so one day on the track I showed him how I learned to whistle. I told him that he will really have to practice and he can't practice around a bunch of people or he will bother them. I learned at a pep rally where no one cared how loud I was.

A few weeks later, Troy came up to me and said that he got it! We went outside and he blew out this really loud whistle! I decided to show him how to do a referee whistle that I can do. I told him that it will take him a long time to learn it. He came to me the next day and he could do the referee whistle too! I was so proud of him, I told him, "Troy, see, you can do ANYTHING! You just have to practice!" He was so happy and so proud of himself.

Friday Troy’s dad got arrested. Monday he didn't show up to school and then the papers came to check him out. He and his family moved back to New Orleans. I will miss Troy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He won't forget you, you will always be the guy that taught him to whistle.

Mr.Bowers said...

I still remember the kid who taught me to whistle. When I was a 5th grader he moved to our school from Memphis and he loved Elvis and he even talked like him. We thought he was pretty cool, but when we got to the pep rally and he started whistling, we were in awe. He showed me how to do it and I learned it by the end of the pep rally.

Anonymous said...

I know somebody from Memphis, was his name T.J.?