Thursday, May 08, 2008

My New Step Dad's a Cowboy

So we get this new first grader at our school and she tells me she's from New York:

MR. BOWERS: Oh, you're from New York? Why did you move to Houston?
TYLER: My mom and dad got separated.
MR. BOWERS: Aww, so did my parents.
TYLER: But now I got a new step dad.
MR. BOWERS: Oh, really?
TYLER: Yep. He's a cowboy.
MR. BOWERS: Do you like him?
TYLER: Yeah, he's real nice. He hits my mom sometimes, though.
MR. BOWERS: Oh no! Why does he do that?
TYLER: Cowboys are like that.
MR. BOWERS: A real cowboy would never hit a girl. You should tell your mom, "Let's get outta here!" Does he ever hit you?
TYLER: No! He even protects me from my mom. Like when I get in trouble at school, he tells her not to be so mad at me.
MR. BOWERS: Well, if he ever decides to hit you, you and your mom better get away from him.

No comments: