Thursday, April 21, 2011

What The Nun Said

Several of our 5th graders didn't get to go to camp for one reason or another (most because they were responsible for younger siblings after school) and one in particular was sitting in the library eating by herself. I ran into her as I was heading to wash out my dish.

HER: My so called friends don't want to eat with me.
MR. BOWERS: Well, some of your friends are at camp.
HER: I don't have any friends.
MR. BOWERS: You know what, the best way to get a friend is to be a friend. You know what a nun told me when I was a kid?
HER: What's a nun?

(a few minutes later)

MR. BOWERS: Anyway, a nun told me that the way to get friends is to be nice, treat people with respect and don't hit people and don't bother people and instead of arguing all the time, just be nice. Or something like that. Anyway...you may not find great friends until next year in middle school or in high school or even college...but remember where your path is taking you--to college.

She nodded and went back to her meal. With her friends. :(

But only because I had already eaten. :)

No comments: